Cat Context 18: “I play violent video games, and I’ve never shot anyone”
This week the podcast crew got together to talk about violence and video games, and we solved everything! Oh wait, I meant nothing. Look, it’s complicated.
Do violent video games cause violent people? Probably not, but if you’re going to pull on that particular thread you’re going to have to unravel the whole nasty sweater that is culture. We also discuss when a game crosses the line, whether the ESRB should have teeth, and the importance of monitoring your child’s media consumption in modern times. Also, Aro tells a tragic story about a rabbit who stole the wrong bear’s hat.
Non-combat games were also on the docket, and we talk about those we played, those we wished we had played, and whether stealth games really count as non-combat. Also: More Borderlands 2! Totally legal talk about the Defiance beta! Our favourite video game heroes and villains! (Thanks for the call, Corr.)
It would be downright awesome if you gave us a vote on iTunes. :)
* Tyler Black’s Game and Violence PAX panel slides
* Grantland on why we play shooters
* IGN asks 20 game journos what they think about the Joe Biden meeting.
* Kotaku summarizes the history of research on video games and violence.
* Free Music Archive page for our theme, in THE crowd by The Years
(Don’t forget to leave 5 stars!)